Tuesday, May 13, 2014

One Glimpse at a Time



After the introduction, I feel that I should give a short correction of the description of light sensitivity from the video in my first post. And then I will tell a few amusing and frightening tales of how hard it makes it to move freely outside.
I posted the video in excitement that somebody had portrayed a pretty good estimate of the amount of light glare I see. But it is a little misleading still. I can’t remember if it was through www.achromatopsia.info or the Achromatopsia Network (www.achromat.org), but I did see a pretty good description somewhere.

You know those little cartoon flip books that show movement if you flip it fast enough? It’s sort of like how real film footage was a bunch of little pictures? Imagine if you cut out 90% of the pictures, but still left in all the run time, like getting one little frame out of several seconds of frames. And that one frame is unclear and way too bright, just enough to get general positions of things but definitely not to see any detail. That’s what it’s like. Have you ever noticed that when you look at a light and then close your eyes, you can still see the image? The reason such strong light sensitivity requires constant blinking is not because it physically hurts to have my eyes open. It’s because I literally cannot see anything with my eyes open in daylight (I mean absolutely nothing but light). What I see is the image left when my eyes are closed for a split-second blink.

As you can guess, that makes for rather uncertain navigation. That’s why I could trip and fall over a boulder the size of a medium dog, or stroll right off a three-foot retaining wall, or nearly walk right into one of those pits in a mechanic’s garage, or do a face-plant at full speed on the cement front porch as a small child. One of my most embarrassing mishaps outdoors was the time I ran into a railroad crossing guard. Yes, ran into it… on foot. I used to walk to school in my little rural school district, and I always had this irrational fear of the train tracks. Rational if a train is coming, but not so much if the guards are just down and there’s no train. I mean, it’s not like a train can sneak up on you. It didn’t matter. I ran across just to be sure, not realizing that the little guard thing over the sidewalk was down. Did you know those things come off? Yes, it skiddered across the school parking lot. I was so startled and mortified that I just kept running all the way into the school. : )

This kind of glaring sight can mean a lack of depth perception when it comes to steps and ledges. So, you may be surprised to learn that I’ve hiked the Grand Canyon (and other significant landmarks!). Don’t worry. It wasn’t as dangerous as it sounds. But let’s just say I gained the nickname Crash with all my friends at that time. I know this is profound, but the Grand Canyon is pretty rocky, meaning lots of things to trip over. And trip I did, over and over. After the first couple of times I thought, How on earth am I going to make it 10 miles!? This just isn’t fair! Yeah, it’s hard not to think like that. But I had to make a decision. I wasn’t seriously hurt, and I was hiking with a team of people willing to help me. So, I got back up, swallowed my self-pity, and decided to enjoy it, scrapes and bruises thrown in. And I did! And our team made the quickest time to the campsite at the bottom of the Canyon. Win. : )

Yes, win. I know it sounds like some cheezy meme with roses and rainbows, but winning doesn’t mean not failing… or falling in my case. The truth is that the world does not rise and fall on my success and failure, and it’s still waiting after every time I fall flat on my face (even if I have to have oral surgery and braces for eight years, which has happened). The one thing that I think God has given to me through this disability is determination. I get pretty upset and scared by set-backs, but I’ve also had to struggle and trust God in the smallest things. And the experiences of fear and failure mixed with trusting for God’s strength to try again is a perfect recipe for success. It reminds me to be humble (because I definitely need it!). It reminds me to be bold (yes, that can go with humility). It reminds me that it’s not all about me and my ability. It reminds me of what the apostle Paul said about what God did in his life through a weakness he pleaded to be rid of:

“9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.2 Corinthians 12 (ESV http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Corinthians+12&version=ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment